A widely held misconception is that heart diseases only affect the elderly and old people. However, statistics show that heart disorders and related problems among children below the age of 18 are increasing at an alarming rate in the country today. There are many factors responsible for this, but the most common ones are:
- Unhealthy lifestyle
- Consumption of tobacco and alcohol during pregnancy
Cardiac disorders in children can vary from minor ailments that are easily cured by short-term medication, to ones that may require surgical intervention.
At Fortis International Care , we perform a wide variety of cardiac treatments covering the complete spectrum of heart ailments.
- Acyanotic congenital heart diseases: These are congenital heart defects affecting the atrial and ventricular walls due to which the blood flows from the left side of the heart to the right side of the heart.
- Atrial Septal Defect (ASD): It is a hole in the wall separating the two upper chambers (atria) of the heart. This condition is congenital. This can be treated with the help of a device to close the hole in the septum or through surgery which involves using a tissue patch to close the ASD.
- Ventricular Septal Defect (VSD): In this condition, the wall separating the ventricles, which are the lower chambers of the heart, has a hole, allowing blood to move from the left to the right side of the heart. This can be repaired through certain medications such as beta blockers, diuretics and preventive antibiotics. Surgical treatments include open heart surgery, catheter procedure or a combination of the two.
- Patent Ductus Arteriosus (PDA): It is a heart problem that often occurs a few weeks after birth, in which a blood vessel called ductus arteriosus doesn’t close after birth which allows oxygenated blood from the left side of the heart to flow back into the lungs causing shortness of breath, increased lung pressure etc. This can be closed by a percutaneous interventional method.
- Atrioventricular Septal Defect (AVSD): It is a heart defect involving the valves between the heart’s upper and lower chambers which can lead to congestive heart failure. In almost all cases, this requires surgery to fix it.
- Vascular ring: It is a form of congenital lesion where the blood vessels are located in abnormal positions which may result in obstruction of the airways. This can be corrected through surgery where the surgeon makes an incision on the left side of the chest and accesses the area through the ribs.
- Cyanotic congenital heart diseases: A group of various congenital heart defects which manifests as a bluish tinge on the skin and the mucous membrane.
- Intracardiac repair: The surgery to repair tetralogy of Fallot is carried out to improve the blood flow to the lungs and ensure a proper blood flow.
- Truncus arteriosus repair: It covers three objectives: separating the pulmonary arteries, closure of ventricular septal defect using a patch and creating a connection between the right ventricle and pulmonary arteries.
- Ebstein's repair: An abnormality in the tricuspid valve which separates the right atrium and the right ventricle, this is rectified by performing a surgical repair of the tricuspid valve and closure of the foramen ovale.
- Total Anamalous Pulmonary Venous Connection (TAPVC) repair: Total Anamalous Pulmonary Venous Return is a rare congenital defect in which all the four pulmonary veins connect to the right atrium instead of the left. This is corrected through surgery.
Pediatric Cardiothoracic surgery is performed by the highly trained and experienced surgeons to ensure the very best results for your child and adolescent patients. Fortis International Care Hospitals is one of the most renowned institutions for Pediatric Cardiac Surgery in India. Children born with heart disease receive state-of-the-art diagnosis and treatment, ensuring that your child’s health is in the best hands.Our Intensive Coronary Care Units (ICCU) are managed and monitored round-the-clock by our cardiothoracic surgeons and nursing teams. We consistently offer exceptional healthcare services which makes us unique at what we do.