A renal biopsy is a procedure used to obtain a segment of renal tissue, usually through a needle or another surgical instrument. Once this tissue is analyzed, it’s then used in the diagnosis of an underlying renal condition. We have a better understanding & are renowned to be known as one of the best kidney care hospitals in India.
How Renal Biopsy is useful in Renal Disease?
- Establish the diagnosis
- Assess severity and activity of disease
- Assess prognosis by noting the amount of scarring
- To plan the treatment and monitor response to therapy
Indications for Renal Biopsy
- Nephrotic syndrome in adults (most common indication)
- Nephrotic syndrome not responding to corticosteroids
- Acute nephritic syndrome for differential diagnosis
- Asymptomatic hematuria, when other diagnostic tests fail to identify the source of bleeding
- Isolated non-Nephrotic range proteinuria with renal impairment
- Involvement of kidney in systemic disease
- Uncontrolled severe hypertension
- Hemorrhagic diathesis
- Solitary kidney
- Large and multiple renal cysts
- Small, shrunken kidneys
- Urinary tract obstruction
- Hemorrhage: As renal cortex is highly vascular, major risk is bleeding in the form of hematuria or perinephric hematoma.
- Arteriovenous fistula
- Accidental biopsy of another organ
- Death (rare)
Backed by a set of erudite surgeons and world-class facilities, Fortis International has been the finest kidney hospitals in India.