Paediatric Urology Urology

Paediatric Urology – Transitioning from Paediatric to Adult Care

As we grow older, the team of doctors who treats us changes, this change of a patient moving from one medical team to another, it’s called “Transitional Care”. Transitioning from the paediatric to adult care can be something like a culture shock. However, if the two teams associate closely, the current diagnosis and treatment will be nothing short of smooth.

So, in time when and if you are searching for a paediatric urology hospital in India that has a closely connected team then Fortis Hospital is the healthcare centre for urology treatment.

What’s the difference in care?

Paediatric urologists treat patients from birth through the teen years. Many urologic issues treated during childhood can determine a child’s lifespan.

The issues can include a kidney problem, neurogenic bladder, bladder exstrophy, Eagle-Barrett syndrome (prune belly), and other congenital conditions that affect the bladder, kidneys and genitalia.

The goal of a paediatric urologist is to treat a child to become the healthiest possible adult. As the child grows and changes, an adult urologist has the skill to deal with the medical problems in older teens and adults. Certain care that may become more important as a person becomes an adult, like issues of fertility or of sexual function are treated by such specialist.

What to expect when you expecting change

When you or your child are nervous about transitioning, you can always take steps to plan for this event. And, in Fortis International Care with the top urologists in India, you will always get a transparent look into what the changes will be.

It’s quite normal for the older children and teens to feel nervous about sharing personal issues with a new care team. Therefore we suggest, you talk with your current doctor first. You can ask for trusted referrals and ask them to work closely with you to find a good fit.

The best step, we suggest, is to ask your paediatric urologist for someone they’d recommend. The doctors are often more familiar with adult urologists, they will know a doctor whose chemistry will match that of the child’s and will the skill to keep you or your child healthy.

The right time to transition

This change can take time, it’s best to start asking about the transition when your child is about 11 or 12. Still, many only get serious about it later, at age 14 -16. Change can even happen as late as age 18 to 21, depending on the physiology and the recommendation from the doctor.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *