According to the survey, it’s said that every now and then someone is diagnosed with blood cancer.
It’s always not possible to get a compatible match within the family, therefore they must hope
to find an unrelated donor.
Fortis International Care has been an exceptional choice for the best bone marrow transplant in Bangalore over the years.
But what is Bone Marrow?
It’s the spongy, fatty tissue present inside your bones. It creates the following parts of the blood:
- Red blood cells, which are known to carry oxygen and nutrients throughout the body.
- White blood cells which are known to fight infection.
- Platelets that are responsible for the formation of clots.
Now let’s throw some light on what is a bone marrow transplant. It’s a medical procedure
performed to replace bone marrow that has been damaged or destroyed by any kind of
infection. This procedure involves transplanting blood stem cells, which travel to the bone
marrow where they produce new blood cells and promote the growth of new marrow.
Why you may need a Bone Marrow Transplant?
In a situation when a person’s marrow isn’t healthy enough to function properly, bone marrow
transplants are performed. Some of the conditions for a bone marrow transplant are the
- Aplastic anemia- a disorder when the marrow stops making new blood cells.
- Cancers that affect the marrow, such as leukemia, lymphoma and multiple myeloma.
- Damaged bone marrow caused by chemotherapy.
- Sickle cell anemia- an inherited blood disorder.
Types of Bone Marrow Transplant:
- Autologous Transplants
- Allogeneic Transplants
- Autologous Transplants: It involves the use of an individual’s own stem cells. So
basically, after the treatment is done, your own cells are returned to your body.
- Allogeneic Transplants: This involves the use of cells from a donor, who requires to be a
close genetic match.
Preparations prior to your Transplant:
Inevitably, you’ll have to undergo several tests to discover what type of bone marrow cells you
need. You might also have to do chemotherapy to kill off all the cancer cells before you get
the new stem cells. This transplantation can take up to a week’s time.
Equipped with cutting-edge technologies and a dedicated team of stem cell transplant surgeons,
Fortis International Care has been successful in offering the best bone marrow treatment in India.
What to Expect After a Bone Marrow Transplant?
The close match of donor and recipient genetics is the primary success of a bone marrow transplant.
Recovery time for a bone marrow transplant is about 3 months. However, it may take up to a year for you to recover fully.
Recovery depends on numerous factors, including:
- the condition being treated
- donor match
- where the transplant is performed